Sunday, September 8, 2013

Building a Better Police Box (Part 2 - Creating the Master Plan)

I went in and replaced all the real world measurements on the diagram I found with the scale millimeter measurements I calculated and came up with this:


So working with this I start laying out the basic build of the box itself.  When I did this before I simply constructed a rectangular box and then built around that.  This time, I am going to take a different approach.

To help me visualize the design in 3D, I'm using a program called SketchUp Make (formerly Google SketchUp and now owned by Trimble).  I start with the basic box construction which will look something like this:
Note, the 21mm x 21mm square sheet on the top actually extends over the dimensions of the inner box.  The panel assembly will fit into that section and will be flush with that part.

 
The next part of the assembly (which will probably be the most time consuming) will be the panels.  There will be four of them with the following design:
 
Another somewhat involved part will be the headers.  I first created a "T" block in SketchUp and then drew in lines to indicate how the individual pieces will fit together:
 
The roof will be a bit tricky because I have to cut angled pieces.  All 4 of the roof sides will be cut as trapizoids and will slant up to the central column as shown here:
 
Fully assembled, the model will look something like this:
 
 
As a sanity check to make sure I got scale correct, I put in a couple of reference objects in the model (the 4th Doctor scaled to 32mm in height and a quarter which is ~24.17mm in diameter):
 

 
 
Yes, I know... this is going to be DAMN SMALL!
 
I still need to figure out what I am doing for the lamp on top as well as the other details (windows, door handle, etc.).  But for the most part, the design is mostly complete and I can start in on this as soon as I get the materials which SHOULD be in the next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment