Sunday, August 25, 2013

Super Dungeon Explore - Starfire (Part 3)

Before I get too deep into shading and highlighting on a model I like to do the face and eyes first.  This makes it easier to clean-up any sloppiness that may occur while attempting to fill in those details.  It also gives me a bit of a psychological boost to see that character's face come to life early on in the process. 

I've deviated a bit from what I originally specified in my previous post because I determined I had better colors for what I wanted to do.  First I block out the eyes with the charred brown.  Then I layer on the filthy brown to create the iris, which for lizards fills the entire visible area of the eye.  I finish it off by painting in the pupil with RMS Brown Liner.  I could get fancy and add a drop of white for a light catch but I'm actually going to do something different to get that effect later.  With that done I focus on the mouth.  For that I simply filled in the recesses with RMS Crimson Red, then layered on pink for the tongue, and the blonde highlight for the teeth.  It's not 100% clean but will do for now.



Ok now it's time to deal with shading and highlights on the remainder of the model and then I will be 90% done.  To get a good reference for the placement of light and shadow I took pictures from different angles with the model under my work light:

 
This is more or less how I start laying out the paints on the palette for shadows:
 
The top reds are going to be for the majority of the model that is to read red. There will also be oranges that I will mix on the other side of the spectrum.  The bottom row of colors was an attempt to shade down the khaki with RMS Muddy Brown.  I think it dulls the color down too much so I will likely use something else.
 
 
At this point my process becomes more organic and I won't be explaining a whole lot of what I am doing.  Mostly I simply focus on creating the lights and shadows using the colors I selected and I may decide to pull additional colors into the mix for added effect.
 
Here is where I am leaving off on this tonight with some rough shading/highlighting done.  Hopefully in the next few days I can get to the finishing touches.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment